Skip to main content

How great are shamans, right?



Most players have a favorite class, what makes that class their favorite is usually a combination of what notable characters they've had with what fits their play style the best. My first 50 was a shaman, and I feel like I did pretty good with it, so much so that I've gone back to the class several times over the years, having had a total of five level 50 shamans (All Duergars, go team stunty!). Shamans are a great class for learning, you get locate object so you can discover as a new player where a lot of things are, AND solo the things that have them.

They also do a pretty good job in a pk fight, with the right amount of survivability and offensive capabilities. I started getting pk's reliably and gained a lot of confidence in fights from my time with my shaman. This was of course at a time where shamans were overpowered (I think most people would agree with that statement anyways). They, like all classes with multiple healing spells, lost the ability to use their most powerful healing spell while being targeted in combat, and that definitely stung a bit. But probably the big nerf was losing enhanced damage. I still think they do pretty good though, with enough debuffs and enough durability to be able to win most fights in the hands of the right player.

I ended up following my first 50 shaman with a 50 healer (Phostan, go team Knights!). There was obviously a lot of a similarities, in terms of survivability. The biggest difference between the two I found was that shamans did a lot better in pvp but healers had the edge in solo'ing mobs with a combination of divine retribution and just better healing spells. 

In terms of overall best race for shaman, I am partial to duergars due to the slightly higher strength and constitution versus a human. Whereas drows will definitely have a larger mana pool end game they are going to average out a lot less hp even with all the converts from practices to trains, and suffer a lot from what I'd guess is about 100-200 base hp less. I am unsure about the practicality of a quasit shaman, I'd wager they'd be similar to drow with maybe slightly more hp and even better mana, at a cost of a weaker parry and a poorer selection of weapons due to low strength. Fire giant gains you'll find similar to a duergar but with overall less mana and a lot less converts from them requiring more practices, though if someone invested the time to only put a train or maybe two into most skills or spells, a level 50 fire giant shaman would be quite powerful with the general resistance
to physical and the high strength of 25. End choice, I'd suggest a duergar or a human. 

Anyways, that's my take on shamans with a brief history of my first level 50. Hope you enjoyed, feel free to let me know what your first 50 was and what you prefer to have as a level 50 and for what reasons, either in the comments here or on the inevitable link from Facebook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Memories

Now, my first bit of time in Abandoned Realms was spent groping around blindly trying to find a niche that suited me. This was something that I spent a few weeks doing late summer 1998 (I think it was mid August). But if you put a gun to my head and asked me for a specific memory of all that dickering about, wouldn't be able to give you a single thing. Rather, I think one of my first memories of the game that really sticks out was being dragged to Emerald Forest with my friends to level. Now this was at the pinnacle of MUDs, before a lot of people had the computer or the fast internet connections capable of playing first gen MMO's like Everquest. So MUD's were HUGE. If you were around for this, you're probably nodding right now in agreement with me. I remember in the middle of the week after supper I'd see easily a 100 players on. Let that sink on for a minute, 100 players. Minimum. And while there might have been a dozen or so level 50's smashing around, t

One Fella's Mudding Career, Thus Far.

So there's a lot of memories that stand out in my gaming on Abandoned Realms. And they range from super negative to fairly positive. I think it's important to acknowledge that everyone does stupid things, even some of the people who help run the game these days, as a sign to people who are trying to be more on the straight and narrow that almost any amount of bullshit can be forgiven if you're honest about wanting to do better. Earliest "big" moment that stands out was the purge. There was a lot of little stuff like getting my first few pks and looting level 50s and having the University library banned from AR due to the actions of a lot of us (I contributed, guilty as charged.) But with the purge, I totally had a "Holy F**K, what is this?" moment. I'd been struggling to get characters past 43 or 44 due to all the 50's who loved to prey on people as soon as they hit range, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to have a level play